Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 05:24:27 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: New players?  (Read 31576 times)
zolton32

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »

I'm not sure why i'm writing this other then to vent. but i have noticed a disturbing problem within the game. New players have very little luck within the game after getting 2.0 epics. And to even get that far discourages new players. You basically have to beg for scraps like a wild dog.

Getting 1.5 epic pages for the first time is really hard to do and requires help. Then you definitely need help to get the book. Then you get to ldon searching for 2.0 pages and you are forced to follow other players in hoping there will be a chance you can get to the boss and that there will be a page rotting away. Then you're forced to beg for help with the 2.0 book.

Then you begin your long life of camping fighter/caster guild mobs hoping some one will leave so you have a chance to get the drop to enter. Surely those camping are there for the same reason you are right? Nope most are there for alts not even in the zone or as bagaining chips to use for qvic runs.

Then you get to qvic where you will spend the remainder of your game sitting in qvic sending out shouts and /ooc for help. Then if you are lucky a group will come in not needing tokens so allow you to loot the rotting carcus for things you need. But even that does not help you to get all the tokens needed for your 3.0 epic as you need 15 and most only camp 10 bosses or so.

I love the game and the server. Its really well done. And alot of players will help you out without thinking "whats in it for me?" But not all are like that. And many are very antisocial and never answer your question and are boxing 6+ toons camping bosses and such. This game is so geared against new players that it would not surprise me if many get to this point say the heck with it and quit and start on a new server.

I'm almost to that point to be honest. Its very frustrating to not be able to do things by yourself and being forced to beg for help. MMORPG's are made to meet new people team up and work towards common goals. With 1 page/book/token drop per kill its not aimed that way. Maybe i'm doing something wrong i do not know. i do not spam /ooc or shout constantly asking for help.

I know that kind of thing anoys people. So only ask for help with things i absolutely can not do myself. Maybe some one can give some hints as to what i can do to procede? i can't get past the qvic area without help and asking for help gets me the sound of crickets so what am i to do? Sorry long winded but i'm truelly frustrated. So how is a new player expected to procede?

istvaan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »

here are your options:

a) start a 5 or 6box and you can get from level 1 to level 70 through T2 content without any outside assistance
b) find other people who are in your situation and group together with them. good luck with this though, because you'll actually have a challenge doing stuff like qvic the first time and most people would rather beg for help
c) beg for help and pick up rots
d) quit
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:22:31 pm »

here are your options:

a) start a 5 or 6box and you can get from level 1 to level 70 through T2 content without any outside assistance
b) find other people who are in your situation and group together with them. good luck with this though, because you'll actually have a challenge doing stuff like qvic the first time and most people would rather beg for help
c) beg for help and pick up rots
d) quit

I am curious as to if you even read my post fully or not >_<

Bikaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »

without a good set of regular folks to play with you wont get much farther than just sitting at the zone line begging for scraps.

Judging by your post you may not have learned this yet though.

wanna know why so many people box?  Cause they heard how hard the content after qvic is.  It's not because they don't like people.  It's so that they can bring something to the table if they decide to join a guild that is doing plane of dragons.
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:04 pm »

without a good set of regular folks to play with you wont get much farther than just sitting at the zone line begging for scraps.

Judging by your post you may not have learned this yet though.

wanna know why so many people box?  Cause they heard how hard the content after qvic is.  It's not because they don't like people.  It's so that they can bring something to the table if they decide to join a guild that is doing plane of dragons.

I'm no little kid. i'm a veteran when it comes to mmorpgs. And i know that each is different. I've played just about every mmorpg from phantasy star to runescape to wow and even free mmorpgs such as shaiya. And i'm not so slow that i have not seen this. And if you read my post i acknowleged that.

Problem is how are you to meet people when most are boxing so much that they never group with people? This makes things more antisocial not more social. And i'm not looking to have things handed to me i like to work for it. And i also am just looking to get to a place to be able to help others not steam roll to end game content. Problem is that to effectively help others in lower content you need to get your 3.0 done.

And that is where i am dead locked at my 3.0 unable to procede. Its just frustrating. I play mmorpgs to be socialable if i wanted to play an unsocial game there are many non online rpgs out there. The most fun in mmorpgs is meeting players hanging out and helping each other.

Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:39:38 pm »

Not to be a jerk, seriously im understanding your plight.

If you get to frustrated with the server as is, and dont see things going the way you like try out Shards of Dalaya.

2 box limit, lots of player... still same kinda people high end though. would recommend trying it at least.

zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »

Not to be a jerk, seriously im understanding your plight.

If you get to frustrated with the server as is, and dont see things going the way you like try out Shards of Dalaya.

2 box limit, lots of player... still same kinda people high end though. would recommend trying it at least.

I have tried the other servers out. And liked this one the most. Do not get me wrong other then running into the occassional slump such as the 1.5/2.0/cg/fg/qvic problems i've listed i have been having alot of fun.  Just wish there were more help out there for players to advance. Its just a shame that you run into a blockade so soon into the game. Heck it took me about 5-6 days to get the fg quest done. But i took the time and did it.

Bikaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:42:20 am »

if all you're getting from my posts is statements to poke holes about how wrong I am then i'll just knock it off.

I'd apologize on behalf of the server if I had the authority and do all I could to find you a guild and a fun group of people to hang out with - but like most of the other posters on this forum we had to spend longer than two weeks getting to know people and let them get to know us.

I personally have been playing here since september of last year and the progression distribution has changed very little.  When i started out there was a top end of players that had a lot of things to themselves as we all "begged for scraps".  I found a few other like minded people in plane of time, joined their guild and the rest was history. 

Others have gone different routes and just found other folks (usually in BoT or pickup groups in PoT) that are just scraping by with their boxed cleric and formed guilds with them.

Yes i'm sorry to burst your bubble but the game gets very time intensive after you get your 3.0s.  Heck if you're getting your 3.0s after 2 weeks in, you're doing pretty well progression wise.

Perhaps this post would have served a better purpose had it been in the general section and titled "New person here looking for some other social folks who don't like to 6 box" or some variation.

and yes my characterization was based on - like i said "judging by your post"... not "judging by your time in high school" or "judging by that summer camp we went to 3 years ago"... it was a judgment I made based on the ill success you were having on the server - it sounded like you were not making many friends.
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:00:16 am »

Bikaf i have met several nice people on this server that have been kind enough to help me out when i was stuck on some thing i could not do alone. Such as Allizia Spikez Danyelle and a few other people (sorry i am terrible at remembering names >_<). I would have to say these players are very nice and not above helping a new player out. I remember these people more as when i needed help they were the first to speak up and say they would help out.

2 weeks may not sound like much but keep in mind i do play 12-14 hours a day at times Tongue And i posted this after sitting for almost 6-8 hours trying to get help and unable to do so. I do not really like to multibox very much. I did make a second account to box ldon to get my 2.0 pages and king chest cards but really do not like to. To me it takes away the main aspect of a mmorpg and thats to be sociable with other players.

I could probably just make my own boxing group to try and do this content but what is the real difference between doing that and playing a rpg offline? Like final fantasy 7 just as an exampile (as it is one of the more popular and well known rpg). I can't tell you how many times i have asked a player a question and be met with crickets chirping instead of an answer.

Such as an exampile "How many more *insert specific drop* do you need?" or "Are you here for pages or points?" or "are you here for tokens or gear?" Nothing complicated yet many just do not answer and completely ignore you. Many seem to forget that they to were once a new player in that same situation.

Eliseus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:08:02 am »

OMG sorry if I missed something, I couldn't read the QQ anymore

I typed so much stuff but just kept deleting it cause honestly, IDK what to say to this thread lol, I just feel like its another person complaining.
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:17:57 am »

OMG sorry if I missed something, I couldn't read the QQ anymore

I typed so much stuff but just kept deleting it cause honestly, IDK what to say to this thread lol, I just feel like its another person complaining.

And this guy just does not get it.

Eliseus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:24:31 am »

What's there not to get, your post is about how hard it is for new players, yes it is hard, but with patience, it can be done, and iirc EQ is about patience. me and my brother took days to go through PoTime because we had to do it ourselves, but still I sit here and wonder what I don't get.
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:58 am »

What's there not to get, your post is about how hard it is for new players, yes it is hard, but with patience, it can be done, and iirc EQ is about patience. me and my brother took days to go through PoTime because we had to do it ourselves, but still I sit here and wonder what I don't get.

A huge difference between potimea and qvic really. 1 well equipped player could do all the time bosses (although dragon slave could be more of a challenge) And if you read i do have patience took me 5 days to do fg quest because so many camping and me needing to wait untill they were done before i could try my luck at getting a drop. And i finally did this by some how lucking into my own zone after a server reboot.

rofollos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 04:27:02 am »

Did you ever play live? Yes I read whole post, but I agree with Eliseus.
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:50 am »

Did you ever play live? Yes I read whole post, but I agree with Eliseus.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Yes i played live and quit right before por came out. On live you can find others to group with quite easilly much larger player base and all over in levels. I got some help from following a group in and helping me to get the last 5 tokens i needed. And i greatly apreciate their help. Got a few armor pieces (cap arms gloves and 1 wrist) that helped me out alot. I do find it funny how it says to ask for help but when you do you are told you are QQing? Really mind boggling.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 246
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)