Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 03:19:42 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Ideal 6 box?  (Read 40549 times)
talanos

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »

I am trying to figure out what the best six chars are to box together, taking into account ease of micromanagement and ability to automate stuff.

I'll be tanking with warrior, healing with cleric.  I figure I'd want a bard to melody some nice buffs and to have a slower and a ranger cause autoshot is great dps without having to do much.  Not really sure on the last two spots.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
Tacticulous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:30:33 pm »

Cleric, Warrior, Ranger x4
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:44 pm »

Drop the slower as nothing pass Ldon can be slowed. You may want to consider adding a second cleric if you can manage it for back up group heals. Add a monk for dps plus the phantom ability, (12 second unresistable lull). You may want to consider a mage for cothing as six toons are a lot to manage. Also the pet does help out if you are able to use it reliably. The rest, rangers.

Warrior - Need
Cleric - Need
Monk - Need
Cleric - Optional Ranger or other dps
Mage - Optional Ranger or other dps
Ranger - Optional other dps

Gantrathor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:45:29 pm »

As with everything in EQ, 'ideal' is subjective.

Most of your high end boxers use a group like: War, War, Clr, Clr, Brd, Rng.  
Plusses - Easy to manage.  Excellent dps and healing.  
Minuses - Kind of boring as four of the toons are ignored during the fight while you heal.  5 of 6 are plate wearers so it'll take a long time to gear everyone from Qvic on when 3/4 of the gear that drops isn't plate. (worse in T2 and T4 when it's class specific armor and you need two complete sets of War and Clr)

Up through T1 content my group was War, Clr, Rng, Rng, Rog, Dru.  Certainly not ideal for dps, healing or ease of management.  But it was fun for me.  I also have a Mage for CoH but he's generally camped until needed.  That allowed me to use all the armor drops for quite a while.  Less rots until I got down to just needing legs and bps.  The problem with this group is it's just not good enough for T2.  If I replace the druid with another cleric it works, but the fights take a LONG time.  Wink
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »

I forgot about bard, make a bard and swap him out with the mage as you see fit. If you need the mage, leave the bard at home. If you don't need the mage, bring the bard along.

Tacticulous

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »

Yeah bard + ranger 3.0 is like a .50 cal cannon going off.

My original Cler, War, Ranger x4 idea will get you through Tacvi easily, but for T1 and beyond it might be more beneficial to go with 2 Clerics and 2 Warriors for stability when the proverbial shit hits the fan.
Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »

Honestly? If you really want to limit yourself to 6 and go the farthest possible it's war/war/war/clr/clr/clr You can technically kill even t3 bosses with that config. I don't believe there are many other groups of 6 that can do it.  It's very boring though Smiley
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:41:15 pm »

war/war/clr/clr/rng/rng

i box more than 6 though. no limits for me!

talanos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »

Interesting input so far.  And yep, I know "ideal" is subjective, but that's why I asked - to find out what everyone's own thoughts on the ideal were!  Smiley

I see that double healer seems pretty important at endgame.  Just to minimize the amount of plate I need to find, and to split class drops up a bit more, I am considering druid instead of cleric.  Are druid heals at all sufficient or will I just end up wishing it was a cleric at the end of the day?
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »

You will wish you had made a cleric. Druid is nice for the regen but heals are for the cleric. Making a druid or shaman as a healer on this server is a waste of group space.

Balthor

Vote for Pedro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 08:52:48 pm »

I roll two setups depending on what I am doing. Currently I prefer

WAR
CLR
BRD
PAL
MNK
MNK

--
Lulls and shit but that paladin saved my ass the other day. Cleric got insta gibbed by tier2 boss and paladin proc heal kept me alive and in fact I waited to rez cleric just to see how long I could push it.
2x monks with bard songs = great dps + fd pop tikis + lull shit + I love monks.
Paladin is just a joke. when I run outa room on monks to hold crystals I just sac this fucker to the gods. I see better drops when I do that.
As much as hunter is a jackoff and nerfs the shit outa bards, you just cant beat them.
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 11:25:12 pm »

i meant to say

chanter, chanter, pal, pal, SK, shaman. Uber group and heals

Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:36 am »

Interesting input so far.  And yep, I know "ideal" is subjective, but that's why I asked - to find out what everyone's own thoughts on the ideal were!  Smiley

I see that double healer seems pretty important at endgame.  Just to minimize the amount of plate I need to find, and to split class drops up a bit more, I am considering druid instead of cleric.  Are druid heals at all sufficient or will I just end up wishing it was a cleric at the end of the day?

If you are actually planning on going to t3/t4 and I'm not talking about halls of honor take the advice of the people here that have actually fought and won against a T3 boss with a group of 6 toons. Smiley

Anyone else giving advice without having succeeded at it, may not be your best source of information for actual end game group formation. No offense to anyone here, but taking 6 to PoD or HoH isn't the same as actually winning a T3 boss fight with 6 toons.

For pre T3/T4 boss however war/war/clr/clr/rng/rng imo is the best combination. Trading out the bard for the second ranger will serve you well, especially if you have a chanter bot for buffing haste.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:16:42 am by Crabthewall » Logged
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:18:09 am »

Interesting input so far.  And yep, I know "ideal" is subjective, but that's why I asked - to find out what everyone's own thoughts on the ideal were!  Smiley

I see that double healer seems pretty important at endgame.  Just to minimize the amount of plate I need to find, and to split class drops up a bit more, I am considering druid instead of cleric.  Are druid heals at all sufficient or will I just end up wishing it was a cleric at the end of the day?

If you are actually planning on going to t3/t4 and I'm not talking about halls of honor take the advice of the people here that have actually fought and won against a T3 boss with a group of 6 toons. Smiley

Anyone else giving advice without having succeeded at it, may not be your best source of information for actual end game group formation. No offense to anyone here, but taking 6 to PoD or HoH isn't the same as actually winning a T3 boss fight with 6 toons.

For pre T3/T4 boss however war/war/clr/clr/rng/rng imo is the best combination. Trading out the bard for the second ranger will serve you well, especially if you have a chanter bot for buffing haste.

This is good advice.

Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:40:52 am »

war/war/clr/clr/rng/rng

See, i can give out actual useful knowledge at time... when im not filled with hatred for my job and take it out on the forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)