Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 09:59:51 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: New ideas  (Read 28777 times)
Hulkpunch

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:43 pm »

Hi. Its me again with another post about some suggestions for the server. I leveled a new character set without giving assistance from some of my established characters because I wanted to investigate some complaints new players have been making on the forums about the leveling process and the fresh 70 experience. I am going to continually update this post as I progress these characters through the server content. I am taking notes on some problems and some suggestions that could improve the overall player experience.

Suggestions (brief):
Add link to lavish software for isboxer multiboxing program
Add link to eq emulator website account creation to website.
Increase damage on prismatic weapons in Mistmoore.
Change velketor's quest to kill spiders non repeat reward an item (jewelry piece?).
Add armor to kobalds in velks.
Decrease hp amount in velks.
Create new zone (plane of earthb?) as an alternative to velketor's lab and add unique quest.
Increase damage on weapons from Bastion of Thunder (atleast so theyre better than epics)
Add free anger proc augs for low level tanks (ae low dmg)
Make staff of fluxing power a quest reward item for casters in addition to being on the vendor.
Make bag of the tinkers free and remove backpack from noobie vendor.
Increase the hit box range on Dragon Slave in plane of time.
Add "superior items" to BoThuner and PoTime.
Add "helper" tank NPC for Dragon Slave and Terrorantula.
Add damage shield potion for level 70s to potion vendor.
EZ reward item credit refund.
Change add spawns on Terrorantula to x amount per 40%

Suggestions in detail:
I wanted to make sure that from the beginning a new player could utilize information from only the website to get started playing on the server. These suggestions are minor, but could be easily implemented.

Add link to lavish software for isboxer multiboxing program
Add link to eq emulator website account creation

I believe that as the players level, they should be moving away from the epic weapons they bought from the noobie vendor and upgrading them in zones their leveling in as is the process after T1; therefore, the damage on weapons in leveling zones should be increased.

Increase damage on prismatic weapons in mistmoore
Increase damage on weapons from Bastion of Thunder (atleast so theyre better than epics)

The leveling experience after Dulak's Harbor and before Bastion of Thunder is REALLY a problem. The difficulty and hp of mobs in velketor's lab and pofear is too high, and the experience the mobs reward is too low. This leveling range is something players constantly complain about in ooc and I found that their complaints are definitely warranted. Further, people have been complaining about having issues with potime and terrorantula (these will be addressed later), which I believe to be a result of a lack of proper transition in gear from velk's and bothunder to potime.

Change velks quest to spiders non repeat reward a jewelry/ range piece/aug.
Add a non repeatable quest for pofear that rewards a different jewelry/range piece/aug.

A jewelry piece as a quest reward avoids interfering with set gear pieces players are collecting from dulak and bothunder. The idea is that players would pursue both quests during this leveling stage and as a result have a  much easier transition into BoT. The quest rewards could be arch type specific and could include:

angry nerds rank 1 aug (tanks)
Tanks NEED some kind of ae agro aug or item to deal with bosses that spawn adds they will encounter later on. This aug does not need a high amount of damage attached to it.
staff of fluxing power (caster dps)
NEW item that somehow affects healing (healers)
NEW item that has similar effects of the brawler's charm (dps).

These items could all be sold by the noobie vendor for the same price incase players did not want to complete the quest. They should all be sold for the same amount ~100k plat or so per item would be appropriate.

Add armor drops to kobalds in velks.
Decrease hp amount of mobs in velks.
Add armor drop to mobs in pofear.
Decrease hp amount of mobs in pofear.

I also had the idea that maybe velks lab could be scrapped off the custom zones list and a new zone that is a little easier to maneuver with multiple characters could be implemented. Velks lab would then just be used for the fighters guild silver chitin hand wraps and potentially a money making zone. I suggested poearthb because it has been used on stormhaven and I really enjoyed the layout of the zone.

create new zone (plane of earthb?) and implement these.

In addressing transitioning from zone to zone, I believe that the "superior" items need to be implemented earlier than T1. The superior item in BoThunder should be usable by all classes to ease the transition for every class into PoTime.

Add "superior items" to BoThuner, PoTime, Qvic, CT

Terrorantula and the Dragon Slave are excessively difficult. They are doable but I do not think players should encounter such difficult foes early on in their server progression process. The helper idea would spawn a NPC to tank the mob as soon as the player engages the mob. I am unsure about how adds are spawned on Terrorantula, but the amount of spiders triggered is definitely excessive. Changing the spawn rates of these spiders to x amount per 40% would be more appropriate.

Change add spawns on Terrorantula to x amount per 40%
Add "helper" tank NPC for Dragon Slave and Terrorantula.
Increase the hit box range on Dragon Slave in plane of time.

These are some misc. issues I thought could be addressed:

There is no reason for the bag of tinkers to cost anything.

Add damage shield potion for level 70s to potion vendor.
This could help with fresh 70 content.

EZ reward item credit refund.
Players could hand in items they no longer find useful that they purchased using credits and receive 1/2 the credit value of the item.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:55:42 am by Hulkpunch » Logged
zefirus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

They cannot add the client because its owned by SOE. Distributing it is a huge no no.

They cannot copy, distribute, or profit from SOE property. The server code is not SOE but rather a database. Client side is all the SOE junk.
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »

Holy shit..

we all got past the newbie levels....

they can too..

no reason to modify the server to make it an instant gimme for any level...

bad players need to learn to become better players in order to progress...

they do this by failing and repeating content until they succeed and understand HOW eq works...

Please don't make this a fail proof server...

EQ is a raw hard game.....

why not add an xp npc that you hail and boom you are 70? then you hail again and you have 500aa...then you hail a THIRD time and you get all your t1 gear...then it would be fair and balanced...

we could simplify this to 1 hail...i don't want to lose anyone making it to complicated...

actually when you roll a toon it should start at 70 with t1 gear....

Hulkpunch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:07 pm »

They cannot add the client because its owned by SOE. Distributing it is a huge no no.

They cannot copy, distribute, or profit from SOE property. The server code is not SOE but rather a database. Client side is all the SOE junk.

What you're saying makes complete sense. There are 7 or so links in the EZ guide that when downloaded and placed in the same folder, make up the UF client. I thought it would just be nice to have this on the wiki although maybe we're not even supposed to have it on the forums?
Phah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »

maybe we're not even supposed to have it on the forums?

spoilers: if you DL'd the client from the forums, you're a pirate  Grin

Mine is the drill that will pierce the heavens! Or at least the next tier.

Filthy casual? Yep, that's me!
Hulkpunch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 04:33:39 pm »

arghhh matey!!
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:26 pm »

Holy shit..

we all got past the newbie levels....

they can too..

no reason to modify the server to make it an instant gimme for any level...

bad players need to learn to become better players in order to progress...

they do this by failing and repeating content until they succeed and understand HOW eq works...

Please don't make this a fail proof server...

EQ is a raw hard game.....

why not add an xp npc that you hail and boom you are 70? then you hail again and you have 500aa...then you hail a THIRD time and you get all your t1 gear...then it would be fair and balanced...

we could simplify this to 1 hail...i don't want to lose anyone making it to complicated...

actually when you roll a toon it should start at 70 with t1 gear....

Instead of all the anti-change BS you just spewed perhaps you could have shortened your garbage down to "I don't care that hate asked for ideas to encourage player growth, keep everything as is".

Thanks for the great ideas and input HulkPunch.
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »

Someone said something in another post a few weeks or months ago about not having but a few people who "work" on this server and not trying to hand out freebies because as soon as people get to x-point-end-game they will quit playing too....that is the best way to put this whole dumb down the beginning stage of  70-tier 3......

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Hulkpunch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »

A lot of people argue that since a magic box is free, why not just fill the inventory with those? I argue that since magic boxes are used for so many combines, the player could be easily confused when they fill his/her inventory. Further, since a magic box is free, why is the bag of tinkers not free? They have the same slot capacity and fit the same size items, bag of tinkers would just offer players less confusion when going through their inventory and combining items.
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:26:57 pm »

I fully support the idea that leveling between dulak and BOT is pretty ridiculous for new players.  Pofear has that thing where every 4th mob is 5 levels higher and has 3x the dps and hps...  Velks is a nightmare to climb solo, i cant even imagine trying to get 'the group of 6 everyone in /ooc told u to make' up the slippity slide.

The kobold quest was the worst 'could be doing anything better with these hours than this actual quest' timesink that actually bottlnecked xp vs. time spent 1-70.

I say burn it all to the ground, leave the chitin hand wraps for FG quest and be done with it.

Even though the xp is slower, Sebilis has far better cash (now that lev is feasibly out of the picture in velks for castle shenanigans) and you can level to 65 there anyways, while picking up knuck dusters, fungi tunics, and manna robes you need anyways.

I'd heartily reccomend (and do) Seb over either velks or POF for levelling progression. Sadly the cash + fg items u recieve in there make it the best *custom* zone for levelling in that range, and its not even custom Wink.

And Terrorantula, where to begin. I get Master of Weaponry being a gut-check test of your boxing skills and how geared out you are.. but c'mon.. 1.5 start boss? What gear are you supposed to have at this point? How many AAs? I mastered BCCMD in t8, i sure as hell wasn't ready before my first epic 1.5.

Put quillmane back and be done with it. PoTime and LDON are going to test players ability to cut the mustard anyways, tossing a buncha adds on a poor dude with 0 AE aggro and a tank that can't take 3 hits from the main mob anyways after the healers get mobbed by adds is just.. Well it's just spiteful and not the way to make new players want to stay here.

And a pre-emptive FU to the 'we did it so they should' weiners who conveniently forget that 'no we didnt face this clusterf*ck of a 1.5 boss at all'.

Yes, beyond Terrorantula the server has been made a lot ( a LOOOT) easier thru the tiers to progress in, but the old gut-check was t5 (which made a ton of ppl quit/take breaks etc for good reason), the new one shouldn't be in south ro.

< 3 you all, lets fight for the newbies. Smiley

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Peign
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:38:19 pm »

And a pre-emptive FU to the 'we did it so they should' weiners who conveniently forget that 'no we didnt face this clusterf*ck of a 1.5 boss at all'.

< 3 you all, lets fight for the newbies. Smiley

Never understood why the change was made to 1.5.    It was better when you could do Terror or Quillmane and they were both timed spawned.   There is nothing fun or challenging about killing spiders and hoping that Perl Rand() works in your favor.    When they were static spawns you could stage your team and prepare accordingly.     There is no need for 1.5 to be some rng hell hole.
Phah

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 11:46:24 pm »

And Terrorantula, where to begin. I get Master of Weaponry being a gut-check test of your boxing skills and how geared out you are.. but c'mon.. 1.5 start boss? What gear are you supposed to have at this point? How many AAs? I mastered BCCMD in t8, i sure as hell wasn't ready before my first epic 1.5.
...tossing a buncha adds on a poor dude with 0 AE aggro and a tank that can't take 3 hits from the main mob anyways after the healers get mobbed by adds is just.. Well it's just spiteful and not the way to make new players want to stay here.

THIS.

although personally I liked the killing the spiders mechanic. Sure it gets to be a pita after 12 times, but GOD DAMN it was hilarious when I first spawned Terorantula. He just pops in your face, a giant spider - I'm pretty sure I didn't even attack, I was so startled - sure I wiped instantly, but it was funny as shit

Mine is the drill that will pierce the heavens! Or at least the next tier.

Filthy casual? Yep, that's me!
zefirus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:32:03 am »

I agree with Peign on the Terrorantula issue.  However, if we want to keep it dynamic, I recommend that we make it so that it pops where it used to spawn. Kinda the way Tserrina spawns off a bat. 

**If you pop Terror in pub and have problems with the current event, ask for help in ooc.. Someone will always run out to help.

arghhh matey!!

[
Hulkpunch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:14 am »

New ideas cont.

As of now, I have just completed the 2.0 epic on my tank so I wanted to provide some feedback on LDON and how the process could be improved for new players.

Suggestions (brief)
Make a cleric group heal spell before vivification instant cast.
Increase drop rate of LDON cards, add guaranteed card drop to boss kills, and change armor to require only 1 card.
Increase respawn time of LDON mobs (not bosses).
Add 100aa crystals to LDON and PoTime.
Increase damage on 1.5, 2.0 epic weapons OR make ALL epics augments with similar effects that become more powerful as players progress through whole number ranks.
Master of Weaponry - Decrease the number of adds spawned. Trigger 1 add at 50%, 1 at 25%.
Decrease damage of all mobs from bothuner - LDON by 20%.

Suggestions (detailed):

Early on in the game, mana problems and are really an issue so clerics are severely limited to the number of vivification heals they can cast and group heals are sorely needed because tanks do not yet have a means of obtaining ae agro. Since characters do not yet have more hp than vivification is capable of healing (with healing focus buff), a lower rank group heal that is instant cast would be highly beneficial to the cleric's arsenal of spells.

Make a cleric group heal spell before vivification instant cast.

The problem I found with LDON is that I was hardly obtaining any gear as I progressed through each level. The only gear I really found was that dropped from bosses and the few charms I gathered along the way.

Increase drop rate of LDON cards, add guaranteed card drop to boss kills, and change armor to require only 1 card.

I found the respawn time of regular mobs to be slightly too fast for new players to deal with. I do not know if the respawn time of regular mobs was decreased when they were tethered, but a two minute or so addition to the respawn time of regular mobs would certainly make things more manageable for the player.

Increase respawn time of LDON mobs (not bosses).

AA's have a substantial impact on the players ability to tank and damage mobs, but I found that AA's are hard to come by early on. Having tank AA's is the difference between life and death; therefore, players need some kind of means to obtain their aa's faster so they can more easily progress through content.

Add 100aa crystals to LDON and PoTime.

Throughout my level 70 adventure, I found that incoming damage to be a bit excessive. The approach I had to most encounters was a zerg like a approach, where I hoped to deal a large amount of damage rather quickly so I did not have to heal much at all. Decreasing the damage of mobs before players have the buffs that mitigate damage on their tanks would be extremely helpful.

Decrease damage of all mobs from bothuner - LDON by 20%.

The disparity between zone dropped weapons and the 1.5 and 2.0 epics is too small. There is hardly any reason for the player to abandon their newly acquired 1.5 or 2.0 epic for a weapon that just dropped from a LDON boss. To remedy this problem, the damage and stats could be increased universally across all epics 1.5-2.0 OR all 1.5 and higher epics could be converted into augments like the 3.0+ augments. Certainly this would mean revising the exisiting weapon augments, but it would definitely allow for a smoother game play for the new player.

Increase damage on 1.5, 2.0 epic weapons OR make ALL epics augments with similar effects that become more powerful as players progress through whole number ranks.

I found the Master of Weaponry to be excessively difficult. Most of the difficulty is a result of the excessive amount of adds and the lack of ae agro available to tanks early on in progression. Limiting the number of adds would create a more appropriate encounter.

Master of Weaponry - Decrease the number of adds spawned. Trigger 1 add at 50%, 1 at 25%.

Additional Notes:
I found that one of the most worth while things a player can do after recently obtaining level 70 is to farm SLS so they can be sold / traded for 2k/10kaa rainbow crystals to allow the player to max out all their aa's for their level early on and begin ranking up their ring of the ages which has a HUGE impact on tank's beefyness at this stage in the game. While this is a good strategy for newly leveled 70's, do we really want this to be an option for the player? It seems like having this escapade undermines all the other more appropriate potential options that could be available to the player that they could find in their own adventure.

Ironically, as I progress through the early stages of progression, I am actually finding the game play more difficult than later tier game play; therefore, the argument that if people do not learn how to play now they will not be able to handle the game play later on can be completely thrown out. A lot of the spells players rely on later on are not available to the player early on and therefore severely cripple their ability. A few remedies to early 70 experiences are to buff these players with crab, oak, and whatever else or to provide assistance, but players should not result to relying on such buffs. Infact, I would argue that these buffs could be restricted to only 71+ players because they undermine the leveling process early on. Even if an experienced player is rolling a few more zerks or necros or whatever, they have at their arsenal the ability to quickly power level through pofire. Getting to dulak stage of the game hardly takes any time at all now with the custom buffs hate created and actually recently updated to provide even more hp to players.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:01:44 am by Hulkpunch » Logged
Fuzzypoodle

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:15 pm »

Well, I noticed yesterday helping some peeps with MoW that he is yellow to me at 78...  Hate might need to look at him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 97
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)